Welcome to the weekend. Sure, you might be spending it in exactly the same place as you’ve been spending the weekdays, but you don’t have to spend it exactly the same way.
We’re still a way off from refilling our gig guide with options for nights out, and panic searching through emails for those print-at-home tickets (just us?), but through the wonder of technology we can still get the weekend live music high.
Here are a few of purse friendly music events happening this weekend. Our tip? Put an obstacle course between you and your fridge / drinks cabinet so by the time you take a sip of your choice beverage you’ll feel like you’ve earned it, just like you do after surviving a ridiculous bar queue and managing to get back through a crowd to your spot.
Saturday Night (20th Feb 2021)
1) Chris Country Radio is playing a full 90-minute Luke Combs concert at 7pm. This is the as-live recording of his live ‘What You See Is What You Get’ facebook show from last Thursday. It’s not quite enough to make us forget we should have been seeing him in person in less than a month, but at least no one will complain about you standing up or singing at the top of your voice. Well, actually neighbours might, but they can’t prod you as easily as the grumpy couple in section 110 of the O2. Tune in on DAB+ in select areas or online at www.chriscountry.co.uk
2) Alternatively, if you’re missing your fellow country fans British CMA are hosting a country music social on zoom at 7pm. It includes performances from British and Irish talent Emma Jane, The Rising, Chantelle Padden and Simon James. To join the zoom Meeting ID is 867 1551 9716, passcode 663573.
3) For the night owls, it’s past my bedtime but one of the blessings of lockdown is being able to access the Opry live on facebook hosted by Bobby Bones. If you can handle the time difference (2am in the wee hours of Sunday morning here in the UK) this week’s line up of Jon Pardi, Dustin Lynch and Lainey Wilson is worth staying up for. Tune in on the Circle Access Facebook page.
Sunday Night (21st feb 2021)
1) We’ve been enjoying the intimate feel of the facebook events Destination Country have been hosting throughout this gig drought. This Sunday at 8pm they’re joined by Logan Mize (who we first saw at Nashville Meets London a few years back) for a livestream. He’s also supported by Clare Dunne. Head to this facebook event to get involved in the chat and music.
2) Or, over on twitch, which is a platform I’ve not been cool enough to explore yet, there are a couple of back to back singer-songwriter full sets First is 50 minutes from Lisa Redford who has been heavily featured on BBC Sounds, followed by Essex singer Laura Beckwith. Head to twitch.tv/dcbrownlive from 6pm.
Keep letting us know about any of your virtual country music events so we can spread the word. Kitchen dancing is optional but highly recommended.
CJ & Judi
Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook; username @BritsInBoots